Primarily responsible for assisting with leading the Safety, Health and Environmental function. Will also inspect equipment ensuring safety of employees; create safety policies for workers to prevent injuries, burns or illnesses; conduct training sessions on topics such as emergency preparedness or proper lifting procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Manage medical and worker’s comp, DOT, and PSM activities.
- Work with Safety Manager to revise and update safety programs ensuring compliant, safe and incident-free work environment.
- Develop and conduct training and safety meetings.
- Work to assure regulatory documentation is complete and correct.
- Assist with management of Contractor Safety Program.
- Facilitate behavior based safety program.
- Manage the Safety Department in absence of Safety Manger.
- Communicate with medical, legal and insurance personnel.
- Perform ergonomic assessments and recommend improvements.
- Promote organizational safety and continuous environmental improvement by working with all departments to analyze current situation and recommend safety and environmental improvements.
- Communicates and celebrates successes to maintain and foster company-wide commitment to safety and continuous improvement; and provide recommendations for corrective direction when HSE programs deviate from strategic plans and objectives.
- Formulate, maintain and execute emergency plans and responds to safety and employee emergencies.
- Ensure all significant near misses, injuries, and safety events are investigated, abatement measures implemented and root causes identified.
- Oversee health and safety, environmental, and DOT audits of all the organizations facilities and recommends preventative measures.
- Assist with accident investigations.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- None. This is an individual contributor position. Competencies required: Functional/Technical Skills, Action Oriented, Problem Solving, Learning on the Fly and Interpersonal Savvy.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in occupational health, safety, engineering, biology or relevant discipline.
- 3 years’ experience in a similar safety environment.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bilingual – English/Spanish proficiency.
- Familiarity with OSHA standards.
REQUIRED TECHNICAL SKILLS:
- Strong communication, teamwork, analysis, judgment and customer focus skills.
- Ability to analyze accident data, new processes, and machinery for potential safety concerns and conduct job hazard and job safety analyses.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in matters involving security and/or personnel issues.
- Experience with OSHA regulations.
- Experience in Worker’s Compensation.
- Intermediate computer skills and Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint knowledge.
- Ability to read, speak and write in the English language.
- Ability to handle and resolve most issues independently.
- Appropriately operate with frequent access to confidential information.
- High work capacity, dependable, results oriented and strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of staff within the organization.
- Direct and empathetic communication style.
- Highly effective written/verbal and interpersonal communication skills sufficient to communicate and interact effectively with internal and external customers.
- Ability to work in fast paced environment with multiple priorities.
- Excellent organizational skills, with precise attention to detail.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Demonstrated sound work ethic, honesty and moral character.
REQUIRED PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS:
- Understand and interpret data while drawing logical conclusions based on available inputs.
- Critical thinking skills in standardized situations as well as non-routine problems.
- Manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and prioritize work accordingly.