Westlake Chemical, Plaquemine, LA
Specialist Sr. – HSE
This position implements safety and health programs and procedures at the site and provides a professional contact for Plant personnel to utilize in the decision making process during planning of projects, work tasks or other operations where hazard/risk analysis is necessary. The position ensures programs and procedures are in place to help guide and direct plant personnel when consultation is not practical; Provides a liaison to our contractors for direction, interpretation and enforcement of the Westlake safety and health rules and regulations. The position adds value indirectly by increasing worker morale by helping provide a cleaner, healthier work environment, and directly by reducing personnel injuries and property damage. This position collaborates with company management teams in their health, safety, and/or environmental efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following and will also be tailored area of focus (Health, Safety and/or Environmental), or a combination of focus areas:
- Demonstrates strong safety culture through personal behavior and commitment to environmental, health & safety.
- Leads the PACE culture of safety.
- Review, Revise and Draft Safety Procedures
- Develop, coordinate and conduct Health Training for employees and emergency response teams
- Participate in Emergency Response
- Provide Health support for Turnarounds/Outages
- Defines and coordinates the administration of the occupational health service including the supervision of the services of contract health care providers, contract agencies and other vendors.
- Maintains health, administrative, and program records, safeguarding the confidentiality of employee health records
- Provide/coordinate initial assessment of on the job injuries and illnesses, ensure proper care is provided, follow up and refer for further evaluation as necessary.
- Contributes to the design of health controls and surveillance methods relative to actual and/or potential toxic hazardous conditions in the work environment.
- May assist with monitoring of and claims process for injuries, leaves, and workers compensation cases.
- May maintain OSHA 300 log
- Provide subject matter expertise for OSHA and other related regulations
- Own and drive support for a specific Operating Unit(s) or area in Health and Safety matters
- Review, Revise and Draft Health and Safety Procedures
- Support the site with OSHA VPP Challenge
- Conduct Walk-Through Inspections and Life Critical Audits
- Support site with generating reports from incident reporting database and electronic systems
- Participate in incident investigations
- Develop, coordinate and conduct Safety Training
- Participate in Emergency Response
- Provide Safety support for Turnarounds/Outages
- Participate on Safety Committees
- Support Contractor Safety Management
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Safety & Health or related field required
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) is preferred; Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or a Graduate Safety Practitioner (GSP) is required
- Certification in audiometric testing desired for Health professionals
- Minimum of 8 years industrial safety experience in petrochemicals or chemicals manufacturing required
- Knowledge Level of regulatory compliance laws (OSHA 1910 – General Industry & OSHA 1926 – Construction) .
- Knowledge Level of Industrial Hygiene
- Background in industrial safety, process safety management, and safety auditing experience preferred
- Experience with change management – implementation of new policies/procedures valuable
- Strong facilitation, interpersonal and computer skills, with a good working knowledge of related databases and applications, and excellent verbal and written communication abilities
- Capable of managing multiple projects
- Exhibits positivity, passion, integrity and accountability
- Able to work in a team-oriented environment and lead team projects and collaboration
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk and climb; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, and infrequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must frequently make minor decisions requiring limited judgement, general decisions in the absence of specific directions, and perform activities requiring sustained concentration.
The noise level in the work environment is sometimes moderate when working in an office, however, some of the work may be required in the operating units which mandates usage of required PPE including safety glasses, hearing protection, etc. May also result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of stairs. Travel may be required occasionally.
Westlake Chemical is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristics protected by applicable legislation.
Visit Westlake.com > Careers to apply.
Is your company looking for a qualified and experienced Safety Professional?
Posted: Jun 01, 2018
Contact Brandon Smith to have your opening posted here and distributed amongst ASSP Greater Baton Rouge Chapter members. Jobs are posted for 30 days unless otherwise requested for longer.