SAFETY ENGINEER – PORT HUDSON
The position, which reports to the Safety & Health Leader, is located at the production facility in Zachary, Louisiana and has responsibility for assisting in development, implementation, and maintenance of the Company’s Health and Safety programs for GP employees.
A Day In The Life Typically Includes:
- Competing demands will require a strong process approach to work, strong organizational skills, teamwork and the ability to establish, communicate and adhere to priorities
- Lead the Hazard Identification Risk Assessments (HIRA) program facility wide
- Facilitate the Facility Risk Assessment (FRA), Department Risk Assessments (DRAs) and HIRAs so that risk is identified, prioritized and mitigated
- Assist in the development and implementation of core safety programs. The core elements include, but are not limited to Confined Space, Safety Management Systems, Electrical Safe Work Practices, Excavation and Trenching, Fall Protection, Flammable Storage, Housekeeping, Incident Investigation, Mobile Equipment, Cranes and Rigging, Personal Protective Equipment, Safe Work Permits
- Strive to create value for the mill through effective implementation of GP safety and health requirements and a thorough understanding of the mill’s safety & health vision
- Prepare and conduct required regulatory training and work with facility personnel to increase awareness of safety and health issues
- Perform ongoing evaluations/audits of safety and health programs facility wide
- Facilitate incident investigations to identify root causes and implement corrective actions in order to prevent reoccurrence
- Respond to site personnel for assistance and support on safety and health-related issues
- Assists with the development of strategic plans to achieve short and long-term safety and health improvement goals
- Actively manage projects from conception to completion, ensuring Prevention through Design is incorporated and implemented
What You Will Need:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Safety, a safety related field, or other technical field (i.e., Engineering)
- Five (5) or more years’ safety-related work experience in a heavy industrial / manufacturing environment
- Previous leadership experience
- Experience and knowledge of OSHA 1910 compliance regulations to include recordkeeping, as well as relevant industry safety standards such as ISO 13849, ANSI B11, NFPA 79, and ANSI Z244.1
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite including Excel (spreadsheet creation/ editing, pivot tables, formula creation, etc.), PowerPoint (Presentation creation/editing), and Word (creating and modifying documents and tables)
- Experience and ability to utilize CAD
- Experience and knowledge in recognizing and mitigating hazards
What Will Put You Ahead?
- ASP, GSP, CSP or equivalent certification
- Ten (10) or more years’ safety & health experience in an industrial or manufacturing setting
- Experience in manufacturing, converting and packaging automation
- Demonstrated ability to establish sustainable systems for compliance and continuous improvement
Why Work For GP?
- A culture that places top priority on integrity and compliance
- Opportunity for career growth at one of the largest, financially stable companies in the world
- Encouragement to challenge the status quo and share knowledge
- Responsibilities and rewards based on contributions
- Continued company growth due to reinvesting 90% of our earnings
- Competitive pay and benefits that help you manage your personal and financial wellness
Want to learn more about Georgia-Pacific?
Georgia-Pacific and its subsidiaries are among the world’s leading manufacturers and marketers of tissue, paper-based packaging, office papers, cellulose, specialty fibers, non-woven fabrics, building products and related chemicals. Our familiar consumer brands include: Quilted Northern®, Angel Soft®, Brawny®, enMotion®, Sparkle®, Mardi Gras®, and Vanity Fair®, as well as the Dixie® brand of disposable cups, plates and cutlery. Its Harmon subsidiary is among the world’s largest recyclers of paper, metal and plastics. The company employs approximately 35,000 people directly.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.We are an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Disabled/VeteranExcept where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successfully passing a drug test. This employer uses E-Verify. Please visit the following website for additional information: www.kochcareers.com/doc/Everify.pdf