Job Title: Safety Manager
Location: Corporate Office – Lafayette, LA
Department: Safety Department
Salary: Commensurate with experience
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
This position will plan, implement, create, evaluate, coordinate, assess and monitor the corporate efforts toward accident and loss prevention and the control of environmental, health or safety hazards through established comprehensive written programs designed to comply with appropriate federal, state and local regulatory agencies.
The position will act in an advisory capacity providing information and training to all levels including management, supervision and field level personnel. Continual monitoring of work habits and conditions will be required in order to develop and recommend changes.
Administrative controls such as mandatory recordkeeping, reporting, auditing and insurance interaction will be required of this position.
Reports to: President & CEO
- Should have a minimum of a two year related degree in Occupational Safety and Health, technical certificate or equivalent number of additional years of related work experience.
- Bachelor Degree in Occupation Safety and Health, Engineering, or Construction Management is preferred.
LICENSING / CERTIFICATION:
- Preferred certification as a Safety Professional (i.e. COSS, OHST, CSP, CPEA, CSST)
- OSHA 500 Trainer Course Certification a plus
- OSHA 10/30 HR Certification
- Ideally 5 years of progressive applicable industry experience in the field of safety and health. A minimum of 5 years of field safety experience.
- Good working knowledge and understanding of OSHA 29 CFR 1910 (General Industry) & 1926 (Construction).
PHYSICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY:
- Body Position: Should be flexible, have full range of motion to lift, walk, climb or sit as needed.
- Body Movement: Should have full dexterity to perform movements required or expected of the position.
- Body Senses: Requires average range of normal senses; hearing, seeing, feeling, smell and touch.
MENTAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY:
- Technical: Proficient with Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel and Power Point)
- Mathematics: Should have the ability to formulate equations used to determine statistical calculations and basic mathematical solutions.
- Language: Must be able to read, write and speak English in order to disseminate regulatory materials, technical information and communicate it to a variety of levels within the company, by being concise yet not methodical.
Spanish as a second language would be helpful but not required.
- Reasoning: Must be versatile at all levels of diplomacy with customers, management, supervision and field level personnel.
Operations may require driving, field and office time.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Develop, implement and maintain corporate, as well as protect site safety, health and environmental programs / plans.
- Advise management and supervision in the safety, health and environmental areas.
- Conduct surveys, audits, investigations, and gather information and data as may be required.
- Conduct and manage corporate new employee safety orientations.
- Create, evaluate and administer the safety program to address improvement areas within a program to include the development and presentation of training programs for management, supervision or employees.
- Maintain current knowledge of applicable rules and regulations including, but not limited to, OSHA, USACE, or company policies and procedures.
- Create, evaluate, and administer company policies and procedures concerning safety, health and environmental matters.
- Initiate and maintain safety awareness programs and foster such programs to improve awareness.
- Administer or create special safety, accident prevention, housekeeping, environmental and other safety related programs for site locations as needed.
- Provide guidance to management through interpretation of the company safety manual, OSHA, EPA, and other regulatory requirements.
- Inspect, monitor, and evaluate project safety programs for value and effectiveness regarding company and customer compliance.
- Maintain liaison with the subcontractor’s safety representatives, the safety and health community in the area, and corporate management.
- Conduct thorough accident investigations including TAP Root Analysis concepts for project accidents, incident and near misses that may require litigation and obtain and preserve collected data.
- Maintain records, reports and documents that may be required to meet corporate or regulatory requirements.
- Develop and administer a pre-job and pre-construction management meetings / safety orientation for all projects.
- Represent company in all OSHA compliance inspections and subsequent informal settlements.
- Manage all aspects of DOT / non-DOT drug / alcohol testing protocols, as well as fleet program.
- Conduct, direct and assure regular inspections of the work place to evaluate for accident and incident prevention measures.
- Maintain liaison with each project management and supervision on variations of safety policy.
- Monitor Workman Compensation activities to include reporting, tracking, communications, claims management, loss prevention, loss control, and interface as needed.
- Maintain proper documentation on employees warned or cited for safety violations in accordance with corporate progressive discipline program.
- Work with supervision to evaluate personnel for competency prior to designation or assignment as “Competent Persons.”
- Manage all aspects of safety incentive / bonus program in accordance with company policy.
- Manage all aspects of subcontractor safety including assistance in subcontractor agreement execution.
- Develop, implement and manage JSA / JHA for all company operations in accordance with company and customer requirements.
- Provide and manage all aspects of HSE training in accordance with regulatory and customer compliance expectations.
- Manage HAZCOM Program as well as MSDS compliance initiatives for OSHA and customer requirements.
- Demonstrate good analytical decision making during problem solving.
- Maintain cooperative working relationships at all levels.
- Perform all duties in an independent manner.
- Maintain flexibility and work with changing priorities as needed.
- Provide notification of anticipated absences.
- Maintain a well-groomed, professional appearance appropriate for the position.
- Ensure all reporting is performed in a timely manner.
- Maintain achievable goals both long and short term.
- Safety and health programs are current and comply with current requirements.
- Ensure accident and injury management is maintained to provide minimal exposure to the employee and company.
- Maintain the company safety levels as a leader in the industry.
- Promote safety as a fundamental in every job.
EEO / STATEMENT:
Event Solutions is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available persons in every job. Company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, sexual orientation, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We also prohibit unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics. All such discrimination is unlawful.
Please remit all Resumes to:
1701 W. Willow Street
Lafayette, LA 70583
(337) 261-2459 Ext. 102