Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
The EHS Leader, which is an individual contributor role, will be responsible for managing within a major International corporation, all environmental, health, and safety-related matters at a small (65 person) Pharmaceutical Plant in Baton Rouge Louisiana. The EHS Leader will implement company EHS policies and ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and corporate standards. The EHS Leader must demonstrate the ability to build trust and confidence with the Operations Team and influence change and ownership of EHS programs through providing comprehensive risk assessments and safety data analysis. The EHS Leader must be an effective communicator and send clear, concise and consistent messages, both verbally and in writing. They must collaborate with the Headquarter Center of Excellence (COE’S) in incorporating Corporate EHS standards at their site and be capable of implementing those requirements on the shop floor. This is a hands-on position where daily shop floor interactions are required with the ability to develop and execute EHS tasks and technical experience across the three core disciplines of Safety, Health, and Environmental.
- Possess a thorough understanding of local/regional regulations and the ability to work with these and company policies.
- Ensure 100% compliance with all site operating permits and be able to negotiate effectively with local regulators.
- Provide guidance and oversight to ensure compliance to all applicable Corporate EHS Policies (38).
- Measure the sites’ performance against published requirements in EHS policies. For all deficiencies, identify a plan for the site to implement and fix all identified deficiencies.
- Be very familiar with computer software system and able to navigate a large corp relational EHS database.
- Maintain effective time mgt and organization skills to prioritize work and keep visible the status of greater than 10 ongoing work streams.
- Ensure EHS recordkeeping and data integrity and provides Operations with accurate reporting and metrics to support business EHS initiatives.
- Understand completely how to work within High-Risk Programs including Lock and tag, Electrical, confined space, line breaking, hot work, and work from heights
- Analyze EHS metrics and review incident weekly and monthly incident trends to discover trends to justify the allocation of appropriate resources to areas where the EHS risk is highest.
- Analyze Global EHS Peer Review results and develop and implement solutions to eliminate exposure to these risks and prevent injury at other facilities.
- Manage and mentor the site operational resources assigned to support EHS (specifically subsystems owners SSO’s).
- Perform Industrial hygiene sampling and process safety reviews.
- Perform detailed incident investigations.
- Manage contractors effectively within the framework of EHS.
- Effective train all site personnel.
Education Minimum Requirement:
- BS/BA in Safety, Environmental, Chemical Engineering or related field required.
- 5-7 years of increasing responsibilities in safety and/or environmental programs in manufacturing, production.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Environmental – RCRA; SPCC; DGT ar primary needs along with all regulatory reporting obligations;
- Safety – High-Risk work with a focus on LOTO, Confined Space, Electrical, Hot work; Process Safety; Machine Safety; incident investigations, training, emergency response, PPE use;
- Health – IH practices leading to installing
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement
OFCCP EEO Supplement
Merck is an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of it’s manifestations.
Job: Env, Health & Safety GenericOther Locations: Employee Status: RegularTravel: Yes, 5 % of the TimeNumber of Openings: 1Shift (if applicable): Hazardous Materials: NoCompany Trade Name: Merck
Want to promote your job opening with ASSP – GBR? Click Here!
Posted: Jun 01, 2018
If you are looking to gain more exposure for your current job opening let us help! Send your job posting to email@example.com